Data Science Workshop Series: Introduction to R Programming
This workshop provides you with the foundation to enter the exciting field of data science by learning the basics of the R programming language. R will enable you to replace repetitive tasks or manual work (e.g., in Excel) with repeatable R scripts and give you a tool to start exploring how data science and machine learning with R can be used in your area. The course covers R Studio, programming basics and the R syntax, functions, vectorization, importing and exporting data (CSV, Excel), cleaning data, basic visualization and working with packages for data science.
Session 1: Introduction
- What is R?
- R Studio and a first session of R
- Data in R (data types and data frames)
Session 2: Programming
- Functions loops, and apply
- Objects in R
- Basic plots in R
Session 3: Data Handling
- Importing and exporting data
- Data cleaning
- Exploration and visualization
Session 4: R for Data Science
- Using packages
- Introduction to predictive modeling and machine learning
Material and other suggested training resources:
- Text: An Introduction to R
- Related Linked-in Learning Video: Learning R
- Related Linked-in Learning Path: Master R for Data Science
- StatQuest Videos: Machine Learning
Any person who requires a reasonable accommodation on the basis of a disability in order to participate in this program should contact Michael Hahsler at 214-768-8878 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to the event to arrange for the accommodation.
Interested but can't come at this time?
Request a Workshop to meet the specific needs of your class, writing group, department, or student organization.
Need individual help? Ask Us.
For questions about workshops, contact Megan Heuer at email@example.com.
Presented by Michael Hahsler
- Wednesday, February 5, 2020 Show more dates
- 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Fondren Library Red 109
- Fondren Library